Thursday, September 6, 2007

OK, so now that I've got all that astro-meta-physical stuff out of my system for the time being, I would like to talk about something else that I have no control over, and that is gas prices. I propose a graduated tax on gasoline, that would start at a nickel a gallon, and would increase by a nickel a month over the next two years. The revenue thus generated would be used to promote domestic companies that are developing energy-saving technologies. If the tax were introduced incrementally it would not shock the economy, but people would know it was coming and alter their energy consumption plans accordingly. And because the money would support domestic energy innovations, that would also ameliorate the economic effects. Good idea, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a good idea. I think Texas would probably secede from the Union if it got through Congress though.