Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Baching It (pronounced B******t)

OK, so this is my week of going it alone, my better half having gone south, quite literally, to look after our recuperating daughter in MS. And I'm here to tell you that it kind of sucks. But not totally.
To clarify: It sucks in that some of the household duties are less in volume when it's only one person, but most stay about the same. For instance, the dog and cat continue to poop at pretty much the same level, so walking the pooch and performing litter Zen do not decrease. Actually, I almost never clean the litter box under ordinary circumstances. Maybe that's why I like the cat so much.
As for cooking, it is every bit as much work to prepare food for one person as it is to prepare for two, and it is infinitely more boring. My lovely spouse and I had a discussion, just prior to her departure for Points South, about how divorced men seem to die off quicker, and I am convinced that the whole cooking issue is a big piece of that. I think of myself as being a pretty fair cook, actually, but it's hard to get very excited about whipping up a sumptuous feast that is for me alone to consume.
As for the not-sucking part: Well, I did go out to the movies on Monday night, which I would be pretty unlikely to do under ordinary circumstances, and I saw Pirates 3, which L has displayed no interest whatsoever in viewing. So, that was cool. It was also a pleasant warm evening to cruise home from Carytown with the top down. Also cool.
And the dog and I have possibly grown a bit closer during L's absence. Possibly. Anyhow I miss m'Lady, and I'm taping the Daily Show in her absence, and now my dilemma is whether to watch it now, or to wait 'til she comes home so we can guffaw together?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Daddy, we'll hang out on Saturday, so you won't be completely alone anymore! Can't wait <3Alice

Anonymous said...

Dahlin',
Feel free to enjoy the show! I want you to laugh and enjoy the moment. So glad that Chloe is....? (your sweet dawg?)
We will guffaw when I git on home.
OXOXOXOX
L.